Holidays should be about fun and relaxation, rather than worrying about the risk of break ins and property damage. For peace of mind while away, it is important to take the time and make the necessary precautions that will keep you safe in the knowledge that the home is secure.
In the months or weeks leading up to a holiday, it is recommended to undergo a security audit of the house to identify and fix any security gaps. This includes:
- checking the locks on windows and gates
- reviewing exterior lighting (e.g. checking that sensor lights are working properly or need installing to help lighten up any dark areas around the home)
- securing any outdoor valuables.
Another measure is to consider the merits of a monitored alarm system. With ADT’s back-to-base system, household alarms are linked back to a monitoring centre that operates 24/7. In the event an alarm is triggered, the homeowner will be notified and given the option to have a patrol car attend the home to investigate. Some people opt for unmonitored systems however if the homeowner is away there is no guarantee that the alarm will be investigated if triggered and it is often just ignored by neighbours who assume it’s a false alarm.
ADT Security also offers interactive security systems that can be controlled remotely via smart devices. As well as allowing you to control the alarm or turn on lights and appliances from virtually anywhere around the world, this enables you to receive alerts if someone enters the house. Live streaming cameras can also be set up, allowing ADT customers to keep watch over their home via the web using ADT Security’s app whilst they are away. Other preventative measures you can take to protect against break-ins during the holiday season include:
- Hide valuable items like watches and jewellery in hard-to-find places
- Don’t reveal holiday plans to strangers when communicating with friends on social media sites like Facebook or Instagram
- Think about how the home looks from the street whilst you’re away; small tell-tale signs such as letting the mail build up in the letterbox or no cars in the driveway can indicate that no one’s home
- Inform trusted neighbours of holiday plans and ask them to keep an eye on the house and collect mail if it builds up.
Be vigilant about security and, for complete peace of mind, consider investing in an ADT back-to-base security system where professionals will keep an eye on the house and deal with any home security issues whilst you relax.
For more security tips and solutions, visit our website https://www.adtsecurity.co.nz or call us on 0800 111 238 for further advice from our team of licensed professionals.